Last Updated On: November 12, 2015
For previous versions, click here
1. Information We Collect. We collect two basic types of information:
(a) Personally identifiable information (PII): PII is information that personally identifies one individual from another. This information is voluntarily provided to us by you when you register on our website in order to use our service. As of the effective date of this Agreement, the only PII required from you in order to use our Service is your name, email address, username, and password. In the future, we may ask for additional information to enhance your profile, such as your country, city, or state of residence, education, interests, and communications preferences. Any information you elect to add to your profile is entirely voluntary.
In order to use our service effectively, you must also provide us with the PII of third parties. For example, when you add a child and invite parents to join your class, you will input the child’s first and last name, together with the parent’s email address. You will also be adding many types of information to each child’s portfolio that may also constitute PII. Such information may include photographs, test scores, notes, and performance reviews.
(b) General Information: General Information consists of information that is anonymous in nature and does not identify you as an individual. This includes your computer IP address, unique mobile device identifier, browser type, ISP or carrier name, and the URL of the last webpage you visited before visiting our website. This information gives us insights on how our users use our site and our other products. We use this information to ensure that our service continues to appeal to our users.
2. How We Use Information. We use the PII we collect from and about you to facilitate your use of our Service, and so we may interact with you on a personal level. We also use your PII to provide insights into how you utilize our Service, so that we may develop additional functionality to improve it.
We use your email address to contact you for a variety of purposes. For example, we will send you pin codes that enable parents and teachers to join your class. We will also send emails those parents whose addresses you provide to us in order to invite them to join your class. We also send emails to address customer service issues, and to otherwise perform functions associated with our service. We may also send you promotional emails related to Learning Genie and/or third parties that we think you might be interested in. You will have the ability to opt-out of receiving emails through links provided in the messages or by contacting our support team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We may also use general information that we collect from you which does not contain PII for our own internal purposes (i.e., to monitor overall usage trends, metrics, page views, etc.)
3. How We Share information. We will not sell, lease, or otherwise share any of your or your children’s PII to or with any third party or entity except in the following circumstances:
(a) If you specifically request and authorize us to share PII, we will share only as much of your PII as may be required to fulfill your request;
(b) If you utilize our service in a manner that requires the sharing of PII (i.e., transmitting reports and similar communications to other users);
(c) If requested or required by law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, we may disclose any information we have about our users. We also may disclose your PII to exercise or protect our legal rights or those of other users, or to defend against legal claims.
(d) We sometimes contract with other companies and individuals to perform functions or services on our behalf, such as hosting the website, sending email messages, and maintaining our mobile software application (the “App”). We must necessarily share your PII with such third parties as may be required to perform their functions.
(e) In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these business transfers, customer information, including PII, is typically one of the business assets that are transferred. Moreover, if all or substantially all of our business assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that we go out of business or enter into bankruptcy, customer information (including your PII), would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any assets may continue to be used according to your PII as set forth in this policy.
4. How We Protect Information. We take the security of your PII seriously and use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect PII against unauthorized or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage.
Our website uses Secure Socket Layering (SSL) to encrypt information including user login and password, user account content, credit card numbers etc. This website also uses a generally accepted standard of technological security for the purpose of protecting all information provided by visitors from misuse, loss, or corruption. For instance, the only sensitive information we don’t hold is your email address. We deploy our backend through Amazon Web Services (AWS). We also use Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) to hold and separate our data from Amazon’s public cloud. On our backend server, we use security token to communicate and verify the requests send to our back end API service. We also limit access to PII to those employees who reasonably need access to it to operate the Service.
However, because no security system can be 100% effective, we cannot completely guarantee the security of any information we may have collected from or about you. In addition, we have no control over the security of other web sites on the Internet that you might visit even when a link may appear to those web sites site from our Site. If you share your computer or use a computer that is accessed by the general public, remember to sign off and close your browser window when you have finished your session.
If there is a breach of security, then we may either post a notice through the service or attempt to notify you via email so that you can take reasonable protective steps.
5. Your Control Over PII: You have the right to decline to share certain elements of PII that we ask you to provide, but must note that doing so may limit your use of certain features and functionality of the Learning Genie Service. You may edit or delete your account information and submissions at any time by accessing your account through the Service or contacting our support team (email@example.com). Please note that you will need to be actively connected to Internet Wi-Fi to do this, and even though your changes may be reflected, users that have previously accessed the content may still have access to copies stored on their device. Additionally, your information may be retained for reasons intended to serve you better. Those reasons include but are not limited to: backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse and analytics. We will delete all of your PII from our database upon your request.
6. How Long We Keep Information. Unless you request us to delete it, we reserve the right to retain PII for as long as we deem necessary to fulfill a business purpose or comply with a legal request. We may also choose to anonymize certain of the information you provide to us so that it can no longer be attributed to you if we would like to retain it for longer periods of time.
7. Tracking Technology and Do-Not-Track Requests. We do not currently employ any technology that enables us to track your online activities over time and across third-party Web sites, nor do we plan on doing so in the future. Keep in mind, however, that we have no control over the activities of third parties, and they may employ such technology that tracks your activity on this site. Because we do not employ tracking technology, we offer no response to Do-Not-Track requests transmitted by Web browsers.
8. Children under 13. Our service is not intended for users under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under 13. If we become aware that a person submitting information is under 13, we will attempt to delete the information as soon as possible. According to our Terms of Service, all users represent that they are at least 13.
Further in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act (CalOPPA) be advised that there is no identity verification requirement to access this site, and all users can visit this site anonymously, but visitors must register to access the Service.
A further note on privacy: We have been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) after a strict auditing of this our privacy policies and practices as being in compliance with BBB Accreditation Standards. This Seal has been a standard for social media, online banking, and many other industries that require higher standard in protecting users’ privacy. More information on the details of Better Business Bureau’s Seal is available here.